Layering necklaces is very trendy these days. Celebrities everywhere are wearing this look. You can wear this trend too, but you have to be careful when layering so you don't look like you stepped out of the 1980s (think Madonna). See below for some helpful tips on how to layer necklaces like a celebrity and how to wear them.
How To Layer Your Necklaces
1. Choker Style
Begin with a choker style necklace, or a short necklace between 14 - 16 inches in length. This necklace should sit at or near the collar bone and be the thickest portion of your layering combo.
2. Bar Style
Your second necklace should be a bar style necklace and have a more delicate chain than the choker necklace you began with. This necklace should hit the top of your chest and be anywhere from 18 - 24 inches in length. This second necklace can also have a pendant, but it should be on the smaller side.
3. Pendant Style
The third necklace looks best as a pendant style necklace and be 30 -33 inches in length. Look for a large pendant for this necklace, a round or arrow pendant on a delicate chain would look great for this third piece.
- Mix and match. Mix and match your metals as well as different pendant shapes and styles if you want a bolder look.
- Keep it delicate. For a more fine tuned, low-key look, keep your longer chains on the delicate side and use the same metals.
- Use more than three. Go with more than three necklaces if you want to. Keep things a little more delicate, so as to not overwhelm and make sure all chain lengths are different.
- Play with your look. Don't be afraid to try new things. Lay your necklaces out and mix and match them for a bunch of new looks.
How To Wear Layered Necklaces
Now that you've mastered your layers, you need to wear them with the right outfit. See below for tips.
- Plain t-shirt. Dress up a plain t-shirt with your layered necklaces.
- Open collar shirt. For a day at the office, add layers to an open collar shirt.
- Sweater. Add layers to a cardigan or a high collar sweater. For a more traditional look, add pearls as your first layer.
Adding layered necklaces to your outfit is a way to wear trendy fashion jewelry. Be sure to follow the tips above to keep your look streamlined and not too over the top.